Metal Fabrications and Metal Sculptures
Metal fabrication and sculpting forms the basis of many of our props. Its strength and lightweight properties making it a good base material for a number of applications. These include:
- Strengthening our fibreglass sculptures.
- Using to re-enforce our plywood frames.
- Used as an armature to form the basis of our clay sculptures
- Using metal rods to give a prop an internal, movable skeleton.
We are able to roll metal to form giant cylindrical sculptures or bend it to make 2.5 metre high birdcages. We can mig-weld steel together to form exceptionally durable structures, we can plasma cut through up to 10mm steel plate to form giant leaves or butterflies We recently used our plasma cutter to cut the sections that form the internal parts of a giant metal lung which we welded metal mesh on to form the lungs themselves; this had to be strong enough to take over 75 kilos worth of padlocks that were to be attached by members of the public.
Examples of work
- We made a three metre, high scale model of a volcano for Oxford University’s science department. We constructed the entire frame using a lightweight, hollow metal section.
- A ‘magic tap’ which was exhibited at the Boat Show, with a metal support structure an and aluminium reservoir which was able to hold gallons of water; the water itself was pumped through a hollow aluminium tube to create the illusion that the continuous flow of water was magically suspending the water in the air.
- We made a table that our client used to promote a Samsung phone, the table had to look as though it was a big paint drip.
- We have plasma cut sections to form the internal parts of a giant metal lung with wire mesh welded on to form the lungs themselves; this had to be strong enough to take over 75 kilos worth of padlocks that were to be attached by members of the public.
- We made a 12 foot diameter speaker for The Royal Shakespeare Company which was a metal structure with Lycra stretched over with plastic and other materials attached
If you’d like to find out more about the metal fabrication and sculptures we have made and what we can do for you contact us today on 01892 890608.